1/3 cup granulated sugar
¼ tsp. salt
2 Oakdell Omega-3 Brown egg yolks
2 Oakdell Omega-3 Brown egg whites
4 cups milk (any type of milk can be used, from skim to whole milk, based on your desire for richness or a reduced-calorie alternative)
3 Tbsp. granulated sugar
Ground nutmeg and cinnamon for flavoring
½ cup whipped cream, whipped and ready to serve to top off eggnog (optional)
Yield: Serves 4 to 6 people*
- Beat 1/3 cup sugar into egg yolks in saucepan. Add salt and stir in the milk.
- Cook mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture coats spoon. You basically want the mixture to start to thicken. If you cook too short of time the mixture will be too thin.
- Once mixture has thickened, remove from heat and cool.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually add 3 Tbsp. sugar, beating to soft peaks.
- Once original mixture has cooled, add the egg whites to the mixture and fully incorporate.
- Add vanilla and a dash of nutmeg and cinnamon for flavoring to the eggnog.
- Chill in fridge for 3 to 4 hours.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle additional nutmeg or cinnamon and add dollops of whipped cream on top of individual servings, if desired.
*We always serve this eggnog at our family holiday parties, so we make larger batches. We typically 6x the recipe and serve in a big punch bowl.