2 Oakdell Omega 3 Brown Egg Yolks
2 Oakdell Omega 3 Brown Egg Whites
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon cornstarch
3/4 cup sugar
3 cups whole milk
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon rum extract (optional)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 bag (14 oz.) ginger snap cookies
1 container (8 oz.) whipped topping, thawed
- Mix together flour, cornstarch, and sugar in a saucepan off of heat. Add 1/4 cup of the milk to the flour mixture and stir until smooth.
- In another saucepan, scald the remaining 2 3/4 cups milk over medium heat. Add to flour mixture. Place saucepan on medium-high heat and whisk mixture constantly until it thickens, about 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, beat egg yolks. Remove 1/2 cup of hot mixture from saucepan and slowly add to yolks to temper them, stir constantly. Mix well and return to pot. Continue to cook over medium heat until thickened (about an additional 3-4 minutes), stir constantly. To test if it is ready, dip a wooden spoon into the mixture and swipe your finger over the back of spoon. If it leaves a trail, it is done.
- Remove from heat. Add butter, vanilla, rum extract (optional), cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Transfer to glass bowl. Place plastic wrap directly on top of the pudding. This prevents a skin from forming. Place in fridge until completely cooled.
- In a small bowl, add cream of tartar to egg whites. Whip until soft peaks begin to form. Thoroughly fold egg whites into pudding mixture.
- Place 3/4 of cookies in food processor. Pulse to fine crumbs.
- In individual clear dishes or a single clear bowl, layer cookie crumbs, pudding, then whipped topping and repeat until top of dish is reached. Garnish with remaining whole cookies on top.
Happy Holidays from Oakdell Egg Farms!